Prime Engineering, Inc. is currently seeking a reliable, detail-orientated Department Head of Electrical and Controls Engineering to join our team. This position is open in all our office locations.
Prime Engineering, Inc. helps its clients achieve their business objectives by delivering top-quality A/E/C services in an effective, efficient, and collaborative fashion. We are engineers, architects, surveyors, designers, accountants, procurement specialists, communicators, and administrators. Collectively, we tackle difficult challenges, serve as trusted consultants, and passionately serve our clients from concept to completion. Our work doesn’t stop when a client cuts the ribbon on a new project, building, or facility. For more than 30 years, our Prime goal has been to establish and maintain trusted client partnerships that function efficiently in the short term and thrive over the long term.
The Electrical Engineering Department executes an array of electrical projects from small controls and power upgrades to full building power designs. We work in all aspects of Primes’ portfolio, from Industrial to Aviation to Municipal clients. These projects require engineers to interact with Clients, work with their Client to develop solutions, and successfully execute these projects to make their Client successful.
- Coordinate with project management, Internal Divisions and Clients to ensure execution of electrical scope of work coincides with Prime’s and the Client’s standard practices and procedures.
- Complete Cost Estimates for all Electrical Engineering Work
- Responsible for the Professional and Technical development of all Electrical Engineering Staff
- Perform Sales Related activities as needed in support of the overall company sales & revenue goals
- Perform routine and complex engineering, design, analysis, or other technical tasks within the electrical discipline.
- Prepare/review load lists, power system studies, single lines, equipment layouts, area classifications, sizing calculations, schematics, equipment specifications, data sheets, and technical bid analysis
- Implement Company and Client Standards/Procedures while seeking improvements to work processes and design approaches.
- Create project electrical drawings with engineer/designer assistance such as one-lines, load lists, panel schedules, plan drawings, motor schematics, instrument datasheets, index, loop drawings, wiring diagrams for small local IC projects.
- Provide assistance and advice during procurement, construction, and commissioning activities. Including writing technical specifications, conducting technical bid evaluations, and reviewing vendor documentation.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments and technical innovations in electrical engineering.
- Communicate effectively with the E&I engineering team and project stakeholders, including the Customer.
- Ensure all work carried out conforms with agreed codes and practices, meets all requirements of the contracts, specification and ensure that all work is carried out within agreed schedules, budgets, and procedures in safe manner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or scientific discipline, from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 10 years of Electrical Engineering work in the Oil & Gas, Chemical, refinery or Food & Beverage industry
- Professional Engineer Certification (or able to sit for immediately)
- Effectively lead a team of Engineers / Designers of 10+
- Previous experience creating grounding, area class, power, single line, and motor control drawings with a clear understanding of protective devices and coordination techniques
- Knowledgeable of the ANSI, IEEE, IEC, NEC, and other industry codes, specifications and standards
- Familiar with arc flash requirements and calculations.
- Able to perform engineering calculations, e.g. load flow, short circuit, harmonics, equipment sizing, large motor starting, grounding, etc.
- Familiar with and able to specify high, medium and low voltage electrical equipment (MCC’s, Transformers, switchgear, etc.)
- Familiar with and able to specify control systems and instrumentation (PLCs, SCADA, HMI’s, etc)
- Experience interfacing with and understanding client needs.
- Ability to lead and interact with engineers and designers with clearly established expectations
- Previous experience with electrical modeling and analytical software, e.g. ETAP, SKM or EasyPower and performing various power systems and transmission line studies
- Ability to manage scope, schedule, and budget on assigned projects
- Familiar with electrical construction techniques, installation practices and plant start-up requirements
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and ability to work effectively in teams
Why people join Prime ?
The most important reason is an opportunity for challenging but rewarding work and advancement. You’ll play a vital role in designing the big projects that make the headlines… as well as the thousands of smaller jobs that keep companies, cities, and counties running and competitive. You’ll learn across the spectrum of engineering disciplines – at Prime, there are no “silos,” only successful projects.
Prime Engineering offers talented performers ample opportunity for rapid advancement into management- or executive-level positions. Our growth objectives are ambitious, and we stretch and challenge the individual and the team. We need people who can evolve and adapt to meet our goals.
- Competitive salary
- Two health insurance options
- We pay 75% of employee insurance premiums (medical, dental, vision) and sliding scale of dependents’ premiums
- We pay 100% of employee life/accidental death plus short- and long-term disability premiums
- Retirement plan: 401(k) plus matching
- Company-paid Professional Development and Licensing
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program offering counseling in all aspects of life
- Company sponsored outings and onsite celebrations